SickKids to limit surgeries in an attempt to maintain intensive care capacity | Tech US News

[ad_1]

The Hospital for Sick Children says it will temporarily suspend some surgical procedures to “maintain intensive care capacity” amid a significant increase in patient numbers.

In a statement released late Friday afternoon, the hospital said the number of its intensive care units had been at least 127 percent over capacity for several days, prompting the move.

The hospital said it will prioritize “urgent, urgent and the most time-sensitive operations” starting Nov. 14.

It’s unclear how many procedures could be affected by the change.

“This decision was not taken lightly. The reduction in surgical activity will allow us to support areas of the hospital that need help managing increasing patient volume and acuity, including intensive care units, pediatric medicine and the emergency department,” said SickKids President and CEO Dr. Ronald Cohn. “I want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone at SickKids who is going above and beyond to do the best they can for patients and families and for each other during this difficult time.”

In a statement, SickKids said it has already increased the number of “higher acuity” patients being treated outside its intensive care unit, but is still dealing with capacity issues.

It said it is also increasingly unable to accept new patients from community partners who “have also reached their maximum capacity,”

“We now practically support our colleagues in the care of pediatric patients who would otherwise receive care at SickKids,” the statement notes.

The news that SickKids will limit surgical procedures in an attempt to maintain capacity comes just hours after Trillium Health Partners confirmed it is no longer accepting pediatric patients at the Mississauga hospital.

Instead, the spokesman said patients were being diverted to Credit Valley Hospital to maximize limited resources.

“By working together in one place, our clinical teams have been able to keep the same number of beds open to support children and families in need,” Keeley Rogers said in a statement to CP24. “We want to assure you that this has not reduced access to high quality care in our community and region. Our Emergency Department at Mississauga Hospital remains open for pediatric patients and if admission is required, they will arrange for transfer to CVH for care.”

Many children’s hospitals in Ontario have already expressed concern this fall about the increased number of patients with respiratory illnesses.

For example, the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) in Ottawa admitted 30 children with respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) in October, compared to just three in the same month last year. In her statement, Rogers said that Trillium “will continue to reassess our space to ensure that we maximize the use of all available bed space in our hospitals going forward.

Meanwhile, in a statement issued Friday morning, NDP health critic France Gélinas called on the Ford government to take action to address a “hospital crisis” that is “getting worse by the day.”

“The government must take urgent steps to address the distress signals coming from hospitals, especially children’s hospitals. We should address the staffing crisis, including repealing Bill 124, promote covid and flu vaccinations, and start showing respect for our healthcare workers,” she said.

[ad_2]

Source link

Please disable your adblocker or whitelist this site!